Rogers’ PORON® is an open cell microcellular urethane foam often used in the development of gaskets, seals, protective gear, sportswear and more. Designers and engineers prefer using PORON for its ability to cushion, pad, compress and seal.
Components of devices that are made from PORON are known for their continuous performance following constant compression. Some equipment may use the material for several decades or longer while the material upholds its shape.
Benefits of PORON
Rogers’ PORON is frequently used across the communication, automotive and electronic industries, but can be applied to many more. In addition to being able to endure temperatures from -40°F to 194°F, benefits of PORON include:
- Compression set resistance that allows for durable and long-term performance
- Low outgassing and non-fogging, preventing the material from becoming brittle and crumbling
- Flame retardant without the use of additives (many grades meet flammability requirements of UL HBF and MVSS 302)
- Design flexibility as a result of a wide modulus range (2-90 psi at 25% deflection)
- Chemical resistance without plasticizers or residual chemicals to contaminate your device or equipment
- Ease of fabrication: can be cut cleanly and bonds to a range of adhesives
- Wide assortment of formulas and thicknesses from 0.012″ to 0.500″ (0.43mm to 12.7mm)
The material has even been used in the Hubble Space Telescope since its launch in 1990. Engineers used PORON to prevent leaks and contamination through the telescope’s brackets and door gaskets.
Grades of PORON
Each prototype requires unique components. Some may need softer material for greater compression while others will need a firmer grade for high-energy impact. We offer the following grades:
- PORON 4701-30: Extremely soft; easily compressed for flexibility
- PORON 4701-40: Soft; can be applied in numerous purposes
- PORON 4701-50: Firm; used for high energy impact
- PORON 4701-60: Extremely firm; used for energy management
- PORON 4790-92: Extremely soft, slow rebound with a very low closure force
- PORON Aqua ProTM 4701-41: Soft; enhanced sealability for greater closed-cell content
American Flexible Products is an official Preferred Converter of products from Rogers Corporation, allowing us to custom fabricate Rogers’ PORON® Urethane and BISCO® Silicone product lines. All of our products are custom made and manufactured to the specifications in your design.
Considering using PORON for your devices or equipment? Give us a call and we’ll help you choose the right grade, size and shape for your prototype. We have material experts ready to guide you through to a better and more durable product.
American Flexible Products is 100% employee owned
Every call, question or quote request will be answered by an owner.